Flipboard

View my Flipboard Magazine. View my Flipboard Magazine. View my Flipboard Magazine. View my Flipboard Magazine. View my Flipboard Magazine.

Monday, September 26, 2016

(x-post from /r/learnprogramming) I published my first app to the Play Store. It lets you look at NASA's satellite imagery and data!

tl;dr:

Play Store listing

Source and screenshots on Github

Hey everyone, I interned at NASA GSFC last year to take the opportunity to work on new features for Worldview, a data visualization web application that let's you look at the ever changing data and imagery from NASA's satellites. I was able to finish some neat features, being able to create and share (via GIF) animations of the imagery over a period of time. Two big shortcomings of the project however is that the mobile version of the site was and still is broken, and that the features I developed have not yet been released. That motivated me to create my own version of Worldview on Android, which I call Terraview. I started it back in March but since I graduated from college in June I'd been working on it for the last three months and now I finally decided to publish it!

At first the purpose of developing the application was for me to use as much metadata from NASA GIBS (where the imagery comes from) and the Worldview application to recreate as many features as I could to create a GIBS client that would work really well on a mobile device, and of course to recreate the animation features. I think it has evolved to much more than that, it has allowed me to try out all sorts of libraries and techniques that are trending in Android development but are really helpful to mitigate the shortcomings of the framework to be a better software engineer.

The end result so far is my application allows you to view supported layers in Mercator projection, to swipe them away, hide them, or change the order of layers. You can choose the layers in the picker feature which are divided into categories and measurements that allow some filtering. You can change the date of course to see imagery from that day of time just like in Worldview. I also implemented animation, and while it works well on the base satellite imagery layers, I know it it could still be improved, I wanted to be able let others animate imagery to view slideshows as well.

I appreciate any and all feedback; whether it may be comments, reviews, stars on my Github repo, and of course bug reports, criticism, and suggestions on what I could do better.



Submitted September 26, 2016 at 02:33AM by endurotech http://ift.tt/2dsITTM

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Omnism?

Omnism-How Omnism works

A brief overview of how Omnism sees God.