Flipboard

View my Flipboard Magazine. View my Flipboard Magazine. View my Flipboard Magazine. View my Flipboard Magazine. View my Flipboard Magazine.

Friday, October 26, 2018

Does Kepler spatially resolve stars?

On Kepler's data products site, they explain the Target Pixel Files which show stars spanning multiple pixels in the data. However, on Kepler's characteristics site it is explained how and why Kepler is purposely defocused so that the light from stars spread across more pixels. My question is whether or not Kepler actually spatially resolves the stars it is looking at by any amount or if stars taking up multiple pixels is purely due to this purposeful spreading of the light across pixels. That is, if somehow the right half of a star were twice as bright as the left half of a star, would Kepler be able to tell (without any transit or other event making the problem easier)? Would Kepler see brighter pixels on the right than on the left? Thank you!



Submitted October 26, 2018 at 09:40PM by Shianiawhite https://ift.tt/2PrWZdI

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Omnism?

Omnism-How Omnism works

A brief overview of how Omnism sees God.