Flipboard

View my Flipboard Magazine. View my Flipboard Magazine. View my Flipboard Magazine. View my Flipboard Magazine. View my Flipboard Magazine.

Friday, October 26, 2018

Steps to becoming a professional astronomer / astrophysicist?

I am an 18 year-old living in backwater New York, seeking to one day work with large telescopes like the EELT, X-ray telescopes and the likes. My family is fairly poor and my parents never even bothered making a savings account for me when I was born so we have virtually no money saved up for college. From the school I've studied at as a child, the American education system has ruined my cognitive ability to perform math well and in turn I'm not very smart when it comes to math, even though the field has much to do with physics (which is one thing I hope to overcome.) Since New York has the SUNY programs, I do however have free access to community college -- but that will only last so long. I've come to a point that I've reached a depression because one of my parents also refuses to assist me with their information on the FAFSA, which has made my ambitions crunch even more than they already have been.

Right now, I feel as if my future may be looking grim. Are there any professional astronomers working with NASA or any other large facility that can give me tips, advice or anything else to help guide me along this path or have had a similar experience while working their way up the ladder that would like to share? As a side note, if anyone here is able to provide feedback, what minor should I take in college?



Submitted October 26, 2018 at 04:01PM by TKVenator https://ift.tt/2D7HuBR

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Omnism?

Omnism-How Omnism works

A brief overview of how Omnism sees God.