Flipboard

View my Flipboard Magazine. View my Flipboard Magazine. View my Flipboard Magazine. View my Flipboard Magazine. View my Flipboard Magazine.

Monday, May 20, 2019

New article on Inoreader

https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?channel_id=UCsT0YIqwnpJCM-mx7-gSA4QWhat if privileged people had no rights? | Zoe Turner | TEDxYouth@TashkentIntlSchool -

Zoe’s talk about human rights and privilege is a passionate plea to take action and make a difference for others who have less than us. A move from France to Amman, Jordan, opened her eyes to the needs of the less privileged people and to the various humanitarian crises. This also made Zoe realize that while she had every need met and every right granted, she had been oblivious and closed-minded to world events, such as the refugee crisis. There was another group of people who were powerless; they had little or no access to water, food, shelter, freedom of speech and religion. Zoe goes on to explore the ideas of human rights, circumstance, and privilege. She believes that people with privilege, herself included, have the potential to bring change and help others since they have everything they need within their reach.
I am Zoe. I am 14, and from the UK and Australia, but I lived in France and Jordan. My mother tongue is English, I am fluent in French, learnt Spanish, and I’m learning Russian. I moved to Uzbekistan in 2017. My talk is, ‘What if privileged people had no rights and comfort?’ I think it’s very easy to take privileges and rights for granted, especially if you had a good life.

I am passionate about this topic as it is sad to see people, particularly my generation, get bored discussing human rights. So, I’m trying to show this idea in a new light. No human rights means no freedom to do the things we take for granted, especially if we lived with privilege. We have freedom to challenge authority, express our views, press for changes so that the world is a better place now and for the future. This isn’t possible everywhere, especially for young people, and especially for young women.

I want to spread ideas, make changes and challenge complacency. I hope you get inspired to take action. This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. Learn more at https://www.ted.com/tedx

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Omnism?

Omnism-How Omnism works

A brief overview of how Omnism sees God.